Thursday 25 August 2016

Human Rights Lottery Advertisement (1976)


In 1976, after three years of austerity and drastic cuts, the government admitted that there were no longer enough human rights to go around. Stockpiles diminished at such an alarming rate that only one UK citizen in twenty had access to inalienable human rights and by the end of the decade it would plummet to only one in a hundred.

The populace was dissatisfied with the government's initial solution, which was to mail out IOU letters. In lieu of human rights, these official missives offered a non-legally-binding 'gentlemen's agreement' to provide substitute rights akin to human rights, which were never fully defined and thus remained completely open to interpretation. Indeed, many citizens were not entirely sure that they adequately fulfilled the government's criteria to be considered human.

As a token of goodwill, the government offered an annual Human Rights Lottery (see magazine ad above), but cancelled it after three years because, according to an official press release, "granting human rights to only a few citizens is not in the interest of a fair and equal society".

3 comments:

  1. Beware, I sold mine back after I won the lottery, but I haven't seen cent one from the gubment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought it was going to be my year. It wasn't.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read this with my eyes, it made my brainium happy.

    ReplyDelete